Canon EF 50mm f/1.2 L USM Lens for Canon Digital SLR Cameras – Product Description:
The Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM lens is a peerless standard lens for Canon digital SLR cameras. The lens is suitable for any shooting situation, with a lens coating and construction type that are optimized to minimize the ghosting and flare that frequently occurs when lenses are used with digital cameras. The lens also offers an ultra-large aperture that produces a narrow depth of field and the type of soft background blur so loved by photographers everywhere. The high-performance, weather-resistant lens delivers all the superb image resolution and contrast you expect in a Canon L Series lens.
- Focal length: 50mm
- Maximum aperture: f/1.2
- Lens construction: 8 elements in 6 groups
- Diagonal angle of view: 46 degrees (with full-frame cameras)
- Focus adjustment: AF with full-time manual
- Closest focusing distance: 1.48 feet
- Filter size: 72mm
- Dimensions: 3.4 inches in diameter and 2.6 inches long
- Weight: 19.2 ounces
- Warranty: 1 year
The EF 50mm f/1.2L USM is a peerless new standard lens featuring an ultra-large aperture for a narrow depth of field and soft background blur so loved by photographers everywhere. The EF 50mm f/1.2L USM is suitable for any shooting situation; its lens coating and construction are optimized to minimize the ghosting and flare that frequently occurs when lenses are used with digital cameras. This high-performance, weather-resistant lens delivers all the superb image resolution and contrast you expect in a Canon L Series Lens.
|Product Features :
Canon EF 50mm f/1.2 L USM Lens for Canon Digital SLR Cameras – Review:
DON’T BELIEVE THE REVIEWS!
The reviews of the 50mm f/1.2L are useless. All you hear is “Spend your money on the 35L or 85L instead” or “the focusing issues make this lens unuseable”. But something makes me think that people are just writing reviews based on what other people have said without actually ever using the product.
If you ever want to shoot snapshots of downtown without a flash at midnight WHILE walking, this is the lens to have. I’m so in love with this lens.
* It’s completely silent. Quieter than the f/1.4
* It has no problems focusing in the dark
* It’s highly useable at f1.2
* It’s sharper than the f/1.4
* Colors are more saturated than the f/1.4
* Images taken with this lens have higher contrast than the f/1.4
* It makes the f/1.4 feel like a hunk of plastic
* It comes with a hood
* It costs 4 times more than the f/1.4
* It costs 18 times more than the f/1.8
* You can comfortably shoot under conditions that would make the f/1.4 nervous.
* Produces a much higher yield of useable photos
* Aesthetically, it’s the coolest looking lens I own!
For those who are concerned about the “back focusing” issue, I will let you know that I haven’t experienced any backfocusing at all. I’ve let others shoot with it, wide open, within low-light environments and even the non-photographers were able to focus/shoot accurately.
This is my review from my non-scientific, real-world, situational testing.