Sony DSC-RX100 20.2 MP Exmor CMOS Sensor Digital Camera with 3.6x Zoom – Product Description:
Exquisite image quality and creative freedom in a truly compact package. For razor-sharp images and pro-quality defocused backgrounds, the RX100 features a large, 1-Inch sensor and an ultra-bright Carl Zeiss/1.8 lens. It also features a handy control ring for easy access to aperture settings and more for total creative freedom.
|Product Features :
Sony DSC-RX100 20.2 MP Exmor CMOS Sensor Digital Camera with 3.6x Zoom – Customer Review:
AMAZING LITTLE BEING!
I have NEX-7 and E-M5, so this list is mostly compare to the NEX-7, because the NEX-7 have a wonderful hardware and bad implemented software really pi-ss me off.
On contrary, this RX100 is an almost excellent camera both in hardware and software.
1. Size of s100 with 1′ sony sensor, the auto-focus is super fast and very accurate, much much better than NEX-7, better than E-M5.
2. It charge with USB, I can attach it to my car charger or remote battery for my mobile phone.
3. It unlike Olympus xz-1,Fujifilm x10, Panasonic lx5/lx7, Canon g1x, it has build-in lens cap, which makes it smaller and LOT more convenient than those in real life.
4. ISO can be as low as 80, compensate some margin for the 1/2000s shutter speed(E-M5’s 200 base iso is a horrible decision from Olympus)
5. The operation system is build from Sony Alphe DSLR, unlike the NEX’s bad UI implement from PS digital camera. It have 3 custom profiles, with their own iso range setting. different picture quality setting etc.
6. The face detection can be set on for ALL light metering and focus mode. this is a big evolution from NEX(which can only used with matrix metering and multi-focus).
7. 20m pixels is very good with pixel peeping or cropping, thanks to it’s large sensor and quality lens, lots of details with base iso.
8. It still keep the Sony camera’s features:
Sony’s color profile. I really like this kind of realistic color rendering. Way better than Panasonic’s wash-out plain dirty image and Olympus bluish white, more graduation than too much contrast Nikon, and less pink from Canon.
Portrait mode have lots of dynamic range boost.(good trick from NEX)
AF-illuminate light is useless.(turn it off immediately when you received your camera, good trick from NEX)
Alpha DSLR’s multi frame noise reduction is great for iso 3200 and up
Manual focus with focus peaking and zoom-in
Lot’s filter effects can be applied to video and photo, HDR, Pano, Hand held twilight mode, they are still there.
Exposure compensation and white balance you see on screen is identical to the actual shots.
9. leaf shutter is almost silent. lower latency compare to NEX-7, super fast, that can sync flash with 1/2000s
10. 10fps shutter stream with live view, this is a huge plus from NEX, and the buffer flush is very quick compare to NEX-7 with sandisk ush-i 45mb SD
11. almost no screen lag between shots-to-shots(after you turn off the quick review, another trick from NEX/Alpha)
12. dual dials control is very good, comparable to NEX-7 and E-M5(NEX-7’s tri-dial is a totally hoax, most of the time, 2 of the dials are redundant with same function. )
13. lens is exceptional, f1.8 can be used but there maybe some halos in daylight, starts from f2.8 is razor sharp. Macro shoot is amazing(see my photos uploaded to the product gallery)
14. photo replay can be zoomed-in and then roll-over each photos to compare the zoomed parts. (NEX-7’s tri-dial is useless here, all of them have the same function of roll-over to next photos)
15. lots of customization with buttons.better than NEX-5n and comparable to NEX-7
17. Video function is better than NEX-7, it have more control, and concave dedicate movie button, which in comparison, NEX-7 have a protrude button, can be easily pressed by accident and record unnecessary movie.(Shame on you! Sony, 8 months w/o firmware fix for this!)
18. Video active stabilization is effective, panning and zooming is butter smooth.
19. dedicate modal dial, with memory recall and movie mode. memory recall can set up to 3 memories for the most distinguish settings, such as 1 for portrait(low iso base range, med shutter speed, portrait color rending, face detection ), 2 for landscape (80 iso, vivid color rending, small aperture), 3 for in-door flash portrait. You can alway record video in any mode with press the movie button, but in dedicate movie mode, you can set to automatic or manual, or Av, Sv and filters for your fine tune of movie style.
20. flash can be set to bounce with your fingers, produce nice in-door photos. (good trick from NEX-7)
21. white magic rgbw screen is very good, more vivid and bright than NEX-7 outdoor.
22. battery is generally good in this category , I shoot 700 photos for half a day, So prepare 2 spare battery for a night and day shoot session.
1.front dial is smooth, the smooth dial is excellent for manual focus, but I prefer tick dial for adjust values.
2.modal dial is a little tighten to turn.
4.no dedicate on/off button for flash. it can only be triggered with menu option to use flash.
5.Lens zoom out/in speed is not very fast, if you drop the camera, it may not survive…
6. aperture decay fast compare to the focal length, hopefully it can provide 28-35mm with f2.8
7. no grip, even its small but you’d better have the wrist strap.
8. no external battery charger for spare battery.
9. no sd card buffering write indicator nor any sign of indication on screen.
10. no smart terminal from NEX, can’t hook up EVF or external flash, it’s a bad dicision for a camera without articulate screen.
11. photos and movies in separate replay menu, Sony’s old problem though…
12. manual can only be downloaded from Sony support website. (No CD manual or Raw converter for a enthusiast camera? )