Hot off the press, this morning Olympus unveiled an all new M.Zuiko lens for their Micro Four Thirds cameras, like the PEN E-P3. The M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm f/3.5-6.3 EZ is a nice moderate zoom lens with approx. 4.2x magnification. The equivalent zoom range is 24 – 100mm, giving you an adequate field of view for a wide range of shooting situations. While the lens affords a nice wide view for landscape shots, the 100mm medium telephoto zoom range is great for close-up portraits and macro shots. This is their first MFT lens to offer an electronic motorized zoom, which means you don’t have to zoom the lens manually like most EVIL and dSLR zoom lenses; however that option is available too.
Olympus claims this new zoom mechanism will offer smoother and quieter zooming, which is especially helpful when recording HD video with any of their MFT cameras. To enter macro mode, you simply press the macro button on the lens and push the zoom ring forward, which gives you macro focusing from 8-20 inches with a max. magnification of 0.72x. Olympus also used some new lens elements made from new glass materials, and they even added some of the dust and splashproof features used on their SHG (Super High Grade) Four Thirds lenses. With various sealing o-rings inside the lens body, the M.Zuiko Digtial ED 12-50mm f/3.5-6.3 EZ can withstand both dust and moisture (from “splashes of water”); now if only their PEN cameras boasted the same specifications.
This appealing new lens is set to hit dealer shelves sometime next month (Mid-January 2012), with a suggested retail price of $499.99 USD.
- Mount Standard: Micro Four Thirds System Standard
- Focal Length: 12-50mm (35mm equivalent focal length 24-100mm)
- Lens construction: 10 Elements in 9 Groups
- – DSA lens, 2 Aspherical lenses and ED Lens
- Angle of View: 84 – 24 Degree
- AF System: High-speed Imager AF (MSC)
- – Linear Motor Drive System
- Closest Focusing Distance: 0.35m (at Normal Mode) – 0.2m (at Macro Mode)
- Maximum Image Magnification: 0.36x (at Normal Mode) – [0.72x (at Macro Mode)]
- Minimum Field Size: 36 x 48mm
- Number of Blades: 5 (Circular Aperture Diaphragm)
- Maximum Aperture: f3.5(12mm) – f6.3(50mm)
- Minimum Aperture: f22
- Filter Size: Diameter 52mm
- Dimensions: Diameter 57 x 83mm
- Weight: 211g
- Box Contents: Lens Cap (LC-52C), Lens Rear Cap (LR-2), Instruction Manual, Olympus Worldwide Warranty Card